Overview of Responsibilities:
- Clerical tasks, such as arranging letters, memoranda, invoices and other indexed documents according to established procedures.
- Assist with sorting and filing all paperwork into the correct client file.
- Assist with maintaining calendars, deadlines and schedule attorney activities to ensure no scheduling conflicts and to inform attorney(s) of court imposed deadlines.
- Transcribe dictation, type from handwritten or other drafts while complying with the firm’s standards of form, accuracy, neatness and speed.
- Complete requested conflict checks and follow-up.
- Open and retire files in an up-to-date and organized manner for effective retrieval of filed material in accordance with firm guidelines.
- Assist with the coordination of complex document preparation; ensure all attachments, exhibits and enclosures are intact.
- Prepare all outgoing mail, including enclosures, etc., add correct postage and log client expense where applicable.
- Scan all incoming and outgoing paperwork (correspondence, invoices, pleadings etc.) and distribute according to established procedures.
- Proficiency with reviewing and proof-reading documents to ensure appropriate formatting, grammar, punctuation and spelling.
- Assist in the answering of a multi-line phone system. Greet clients, vendors, firm personnel and all other guests in a professional manner consistent with office policy and the preference(s) of attorneys.
- Take messages for the attorney/staff and/or forward calls to staff members or voicemail system, if requested by staff and/or caller.
- High school diploma with some additional post-secondary classes and/or training.
- Minimum of one (1) year of legal office experience.
- Outstanding organizational, interpersonal and administrative skills.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one or small group situations to the general public, co-workers and other employees of the organization.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Exhibit and maintain a professional and team-oriented attitude.
- Ability to work well under pressure, prioritize competing tasks and demands simultaneously.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, Adobe Acrobat Pro and PowerPoint, and a good working knowledge of computers is critical to success in this position.
- Able to work with minimal supervision, using own initiative when appropriate.
- Must be able to handle confidential information professionally and exercise good judgment.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.